Saturday, December 3, 2011

Craft Fair Success!


So my first craft fair went very well! I had so much fun. My mom (that's her in at the table) set up my table. She had "It's a Wonderful Life" playing on the laptop, and displayed her Christmas card collection drew people to the table. She held down my station while I was at the printer getting business cards. Doing that took much longer than I thought, but once I got to the fair everything started rolling into place. I learned a few things about working this fair.

1. Having a partner helps a lot. If my mother wasn't there to help me with the table, I would have been more stressed than I needed to be.

2. I will have more variety of things on my table. I kept getting ideas of what else I could put out at the fair, so my inventory will be much larger.

3. Don't forget the men! A lot of my items were geared toward women, so I will keep that in mind when I am making my art.

4. Have business cards, flyers, etc ready before the event. Not during. I missed a good portion of the fair printing and cutting cards at my school's print shop. Now that I have a definite design for myself and a brand printing will be easier for me.

5. Talk to the other vendors. I had some great conversations with some of the vendors, and how they set up their wares. I thought of myself as a seller and a buyer, so talking with the others was easy. I didn't feel like I was competing because we are a community. I made some great connections and have potential clients.

6. Although I had took a long time to print my business cards, I was happy I took the time to do it properly. Quality over quantity, and that can be said for the other things I made too. All of my scarves, hats, and slippers were made by hand. At first I was worried I didn't have enough to sell, but I had just the right amount and they were carefully crafted. It wouldn't do me any good to have a ton of stuff that was not made well.

7. Other than the business cards, everything else was prepared in advance. That took a lot of stress off me.

8. So glad I took orders, so now I have other clients and more work which = more money

9. EAT! There was free food for the vendors, I was so into selling I missed the food. By the time the fair ended I realized how hungry I was.

10. Have fun! This was a positive experience for me. I will be gearing up for the next fair.

Here are some pics of my table below.





2 comments:

  1. So exciting, I have fine artist friends that do Art shows and fairs all year, in addition to galleries. Its harder than it used to be but can be done as a living. I will be ready this summer to travel. When you graduate, you and your mom and I may meet up at a show. That would be fun.
    Dragonfly

    ReplyDelete